One Community Now Seeking Structural Engineers
One Community is now seeking two additional Structural Engineers to join either our Core Team or our Volunteers and Consultants team.
The people who join our team as either volunteers/consultants or members typically fit one or more of the following descriptions:
STRUCTURAL ENGINEER TEAM MEMBER SKILLS DESIRED
The following are the skills of an ideal candidate for this position if we would have one person dedicated full time to a leadership role. We would like to have multiple people and are open to exploring win-win relationships with people of varying skill levels.
- Post graduate degree in structural or civil engineering with minimum of seven years working experience
- Licensed P.E.
- A good working knowledge of structural analysis, design techniques, framing systems, project materials and types, geotechnical issues, seismic, wind & snow loads, and building code requirements; with the ability to accurately estimate quantities and cost of materials, equipment, and labor to determine project feasibility, while managing and meeting project budgetary guidelines
- Possess excellent skills of numeracy (algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, analysis), technical, IT, teamwork, communication, problem-solving and effectively implementing their applications
- Proficient in overall computer use, applicable software programs, CAD technology for simulation purposes, and producing thorough and complete drawings and computer models of structures for building contractors.
- Liaising with other designers, including architects, to agree on safe, creative, and innovative sustainable design solutions in the face of challenge (including climate change), that fit with the aesthetic concept of the construction
- Willingness to learn emerging technologies and techniques and investigate ground conditions and analyze results of soil samples and in situ tests to determine the adequacy and strength of foundations, MgO based concrete, and/or steel
- Ability to explain complex conceptual information in simple oral and written terms
- A willingness to take responsibility for major decisions
- Effective presentation of public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, environmental impact statements, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Direct or participate in surveying to lay out installations or establish reference points, grades, or elevations to guide construction and earth-moving projects.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, and material stress factors due to human use or environmental pressures to determine design specifications; considering the strength of various materials such as timber, concrete, steel brick, AAC (aerated autoclaved concrete), etc. to see how their inclusion may necessitate a change of structural design
- Presentation of all work with the thought to protect and safeguard the health, safety, welfare and property of the public
- Desire to be a part of the Duplicable City Center, earthbag village, aquapinis and walipinis, and other village models
Here is the One Community component-overview video: