One Community is purposed to provide people with a clear and positive path for how to make a change in the world while helping themselves. The path to individual life transformation and enrichment that we see as most compelling is a demonstration of more fulfilled living, a culture of personal growth, and contribution to global sustainability. Our method for spreading and sharing these ideas is the creation of open source and free-shared plans for sustainable and self-sufficient teacher/demonstration villages that we will be building and then helping other to build all around the world. This is our weekly progress update (#17) covering our accomplishments for the week of June 17th, 2013.
The earthbag architecture village (Pod 1) is the first of seven different sustainable village models we will be building as a path for those interested in how to make a change in the world through sustainable living. The earthbag village was chosen as the first village to be built because we believe it will be the most affordable and easy to duplicate. This week we redesigned and updated the open source portal for this first village model adding the following clarifying sections:
This week we completed two sections of the open source and free-shared earthbag home and village construction tools and equipment needs page. The goal of this page is to provide precise tool and equipment needs for every component of the earthbag village:
With the help of our friend of the project Devin Porter, we have also continued to move forward on the 3D renderings for the complete earthbag architecture village. Here are the most recent screenshots and updates from this 3D progress:
One Community’s food infrastructure is another For The Highest Good of All area we consider as an opportunity for those interested in how to make a change in the world. Just as we will be showcasing a diversity of sustainable housing modes and alternative energy infrastructure, so too will we showcase a diversity of food production methodologies ranging from earth-regenerative permaculture farming to greenhouses to aquaponics farms. Here’s this weeks progress in this area.
Ziggy Tolnay (Database Systems Designer and Founder of The RBE10K Project) continues to progress on the aquapini 3D designs now with the additional help of our partner Avery Ellis (Aquaponics Specialist and owner/operator of Integrated Aquaponics) double checking the plumbing and filtration. Here are the most recent 3D export photos:
We’ve also completed the research, formatting and refinement of the next 10 trees and plants for the large-scale production aquapini structure and added them to the Large-scale Food Production Aquapini Planting and Harvesting Details. The goal is to demonstrate a combination of quality, volume, and food diversity that significantly exceeds what most people have available to them at the grocery store. Here’s one of the new examples to this house that demonstrate this:
Miracle fruit is an evergreen shrub in the Sapotaceae native to West Africa, where it grows in the understory. Forming an oval to pyramidal shaped bush or small tree, this tropical plant grows very slowly to a height of 4-6 feet in a container, and 10-15 feet in its natural habitat. Synsepalum dulcificum has deep green, elongated leaves, small brown flowers, and tiny red fruits.
The fruit is a ½ inch long red berry, that is mostly seed. The “miracle” is that the scant flesh contains a unique glycoprotein called miraculin. This protein binds to the taste receptors so that sour is perceived as sweet. A lemon eaten after a miracle berry tastes like the sweetest lemonade. This effect lasts for about thirty minutes or until the protein is washed away by saliva or drinking liquids.
A group of Synsepalums will be planted at the bottom of the slope planting where they will benefit from the moisture draining from upslope. We will receive these as small seedling plants.
This week, with the help of Karl Harris (Architect Drafter, Designer, and founder of Harris Design & Technology Services) we redesigned the laundry area to make space for the number of laundry units we will need there. Here is the most recent CAD export showing this redesign: